Blue-Green Algae is a group of bacteria not visible to the naked eye unless clumped together.
The blooms are most common in non-flowing fresh water-like lakes or ponds, and is more common during hot weather when there is less rainfall.
It produce harmful toxins which stop a dog’s liver from functioning properly And it’s often fatal.
Dogs can be exposed to the bacteria by drinking it directly or indirectly in instances of licking their fur after being around the bacteria.
** NOTE: This group of algae are also toxic to Humans. Symptoms can include skin/mucosa irritation, flu-like symptoms, and gastrointestinal illness. Severe cases could include seizures, liver failure, respiratory arrest-even death, although this is rare.